ORANGE ZEST AND PASSION FRUIT CUPCAKES
RECIPES/SWEET TREATS/ CUPCAKES
These citrus and passion fruit cupcakes are packed full of fruity flavour and so perfect for spring.
MAKES: PREP TIME: COOK TIME:
12 cupcakes 20 minutes 25 minutes
1 1/2 cups of unsweetened almond milk
1 tsp Apple cider vinegar
2 3/4 cups of cake flour
1 1/2 cups of castor sugar
1 tbsp of baking powder
A generous pinch of salt
1/2 cup of canola oil
1 tbsp vanilla essence
the zest of one orange (this is completely optional)
Pulp from 4-6 passion fruits
1/2 cup of whipped Orley whip or any other dairy free cream
1 tub of Pillsbury cream cheese icing (accidentally vegan)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°c and grease and line a 12 cupcake pan .
2. In a bowl combine the almond milk and apple cider vinegar then mix and set aside.
3. In a separate bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt .
4. Add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients and add the oil, vanilla essence and orange zest .
5. Whisk the mixture until it is well combined and no longer has big lumps .
6. Spoon the mixture into the cupcake pan.
7. Bake in the oven for 25-35 minutes until a cake tester or toothpick comes out clean.
8. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a cooking rack .
MAKE FILLING AND ICING:
9. Combine the whipped Orley whip or dairy free cream with the passion fruit pulp.
10. Remove the centre of the cupcakes with an apple corer or a spoon and fill each hole with the mixture.
11. Transfer the icing to a piping bag and pipe the icing onto the cupcakes (you can also spread it with a knife) .
12. Top with some more passion fruit pulp or candied orange slices.