VEGAN HOTCROSS BUNS
RECIPES/SWEET TREATS/ HOTCROSS BUNS
Since Easter is coming up and we always have hot cross buns at this time of the year, I baked some yummy vegan ones.
MAKES: PREP TIME: COOK TIME:
12 buns 1 hour 45 min 20 min
FOR THE HOT CROSS BUNS:
2 tsp instant yeast
1 tsp sugar
1/2 cup of warm water
3/4 cup warm almond milk
1/3 cup sunflower oil
a generous pinch of salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tbsp lemon zest
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 - 1 cup raisins (depending on how you prefer your hot cross buns, I love mine full of raisins)
FOR THE “Egg” WASH:
2 tbsp almond milk
2 tbsp maple syrup
FOR THE ICING:
1/2 cup icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp almond milk
MAKE THE HOT CROSS BUNS:
1. In an electric mixing bowl add the yeast, 1 tsp sugar and the lukewarm water. Set aside.
2. When the yeast has foamed, add the almond milk, oil, salt, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, sugar, lemon zest, and 1 cup of flour and mix with a spoon.
3. Add 2 more cups of flour and using the dough hook set the mixer to medium speed. (If the dough is sticky, add some more flour)
4. After 4 minutes add the raisins.
5. Oil the inside of a bowl and place the dough inside, let it sit in a warm spot for 1 hour.
6. Line a rectangular baking tin (around 26cm x 30cm).
7. After an hour remove the dough and knead it to get rid of any air pockets.
8. Separate into 12 equal pieces.
9. Place in the baking tin (it’s okay if they touch).
10. Cover and place in a warm spot for 30 minutes.
11. Preheat oven to 180°C.
12. Mix the “eggs” wash ingredients together.
13. After 30 minutes brush the vegan egg wash over each bun.
14. Bake for about 20 minutes until they are golden.
15. Remove from oven and allow to cool (do not separate them).
16. Mix the icing ingredients together. Add Place into a piping bag or a ziplock bag.
17. Pipe the icing onto the buns to make the crosses. (3 horizontal lines and 4 vertical lines)
18. Enjoy !