VEGAN FRENCH TOAST BAKE
A sweet way to start the morning, a French Toast Bake with rose and coconut whipped cream topped with pistachio nuts.
MAKES: PREP TIME: COOK TIME:
6 servings 25 minutes 30 minutes
1 loaf of bread (a soft bread works best, like ciabatta or sour dough)
2 tins of vegan condensed milk (400g)
2 cups of almond milk
3 tbsp of corn starch
3 tbsp of vegan egg replacer from Orgran
2 tsp vanilla essence
1 tin of coconut cream refrigerated overnight
2 tsp rose water
3 tbsp icing sugar
some crushed pistachio nuts
a few rose petals
MAKE THE FRENCH TOAST BAKE:
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Slice the bread into 2cm thick slices and lay in a baking dish.
3. Mix all of the custard ingredients in a bowl until combined.
4. Pour the custard mixture over the bread and allow to sit and soak for 15-20 minutes.
5. Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes until the bread is golden and the custard is cooked.
6. Once cooked remove from the oven and allow to cool.
7. Prepare the coconut whipped cream by whisking the coconut cream with the rose water and icing sugar.
8. Once the french toast bake has cooled slightly, top with the coconut whipped cream, some rose petals and some crushed pistachio nuts.
9. Scoop into a bowl and enjoy.