RED VELVET CAKE WITH VEGAN CREAM CHEESE ICING
RECIPES/SWEET TREATS/ CAKES
The month of love definitely calls for some red velvet cake ... and who said you can’t eat a whole cake by yourself.
MAKES: PREP TIME: COOK TIME:
makes 3 layers 15 minutes 30 minutes
FOR THE CAKE:
480 almond milk
2 tbsp lemon juice
500g cake flour
400g white sugar
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp of salt
2 tbsp cocoa powder
4 tsp vanilla essence
160ml olive oil
2 tbsp white vinegar
6 tbsp beetroot powder
2 tsp of Beetroot Juice (for colour)
FOR THE ICING:
1 tub of accidentally vegan ready made PILLSBURY cream cheese icing
MAKE THE CAKE:
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease 3 cake tins.
2. In a jug combine the lemon juice and almond milk and leave to sit for 5 minutes. It should start to curdle (creating a vegan “buttermilk”)
3. Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the sugar, baking soda, salt and cacao powder.
4. Add the vanilla, oil, vinegar, beetroot powder and beetroot juice into the jug with the lemon almond milk mixture.
5. Add into the mixing bowl and mix.
6. Divide the cake batter into the cake tins and bake for 20-30 minutes or until cooked through.
7. Leave the cakes to cool. I wrapped mine in cling wrap and placed in the freezer overnight. Then allowed to thaw and iced them.
8. Otherwise allow the cake to cool completely then ice and Slice and enjoy !